Sunday, November 20, 2011

Electronic cutters ... Help!!

Hi there ...
I really need your help and advice here ...
I had for the longest time been contemplating buying an electronic cutting machine ... not least of all because of the stunning projects I see you guys sharing ... but preparing a project each week for a large group of special needs adults - men and women ... it is very time consuming cutting out 30 of this 30 of that etc.,  after seeing my friend's Cricut Expression in action ... I relented. These machines are not cheap here in the UK ... and the model I finally decided on was £440 ... about $695 ... Sure it came with a couple of cartridges as they are about £40 each ... that was a bonus ... But one of these did not work .. no worries ... a phone call confirmed that I could return it for a replacement ... 
Now, over the years I have bought many PDF files and digitals images ... from many of you ... So I thought I now could buy (very inexpensively) SVG files instead ... after all when I want 60 pieces of holly for example ... I'm not going to buy a £40 cartridge for one item ... so reading up till late last night ... watching your brilliant tutorials and tuition ... I then realised  I needed SCAL ... no problem I could buy that too ... 
Imagine my disappointment when I learnt after several hours of searching ... that Provo Craft in their "wisdom??" have put an end to SCAL for Cricut  machines ... I guess they want us to buy just their cartridges ... 
Well that decided me ... and now my Cricut Expressions is all packed up and ready to be collected for a full refund ... But it still leaves me with with a dilemma of what I should now go for ...
That's where I need your help ... I have watched videos, tutorials read up on articles and reviews  till my head aches! Silhoutte, Eclips, ECraft ... what do I do?
Please ... if you own a die cutting machine that is supported by SCAL ... that allows me to use SVG flies from my Imac ... that you find efficient and easy (ish) to use ... can you let me know?
In the meantime I have a lot of cutting to do ...

Thanks so much

~ Ros ~


16 comments:

Pam said...

I will be watching for comments. I too would like to purchase one and having been considering the Silhoutte. Since it is a pricey item I want to hear feedback.

Sylvia said...

Hi Ros, I can not solve your problem. I too bought a Cricut when they first came out, but it did not work well, the tension and cutting with the SU card stock. It wasn't just me as my friend came over who is good with everything and she could not make it work either. Then I bought a Pazzle. You could download your own work and cut it. I still have it, It was more like owning a new computer and I would have needed a lot of classes to use it. Good luck! I just always print out how many ever I need and cut now. It takes more time, but the price of blades alone would be a lot with any machine. do have a wonderful evening, I guess cutting out pieces.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Sorry to hear that, I wish I could help but I am not familiar with cricut and all other electronic cutter, I just use my tiny cuttle bug for most of my die cuts. Hope you get some help soon!

Ulina / Apricot Bubbles said...

Sorry, that I can´t help you here... I have none of these machines.
PS: Thanks a lot for your heartwarming comment!

Lynnda said...

Oh Ros... this is a tough call!!!... But I think... I'd go for Silhoutte... I have read pretty positive feedback... I hope it helps!!! Sorry HUN... I'd be in the same dilemma too... big hugs..xoxo

Unknown said...

So sorry my friend. I don't have a clue!!

Hugs, Linda

cnelson said...

I'm with the rest...don't have any idea. I've heard the Silhouette is great, but don't know from experience myself.

Unknown said...

Really wish I could be of help to you here Ros, I'm not working with one of these machines either. Only have the Big Shot and quite a lot of dies, which suits me fine. Isn't there a company that allows you to use one of them for a bit? Just to see what suits best? Hope this works out for you! Hugs, Ira

Sasha said...

Hi Ros,
By chance, I came to your blog via Stella's blog.
I have just bought the Silhouette Cameo. I already own the first Silhouette machine that Quickuts brought out a few years ago. It's been a work horse and I haven't had a minutes trouble with it. The only gripe I had was that it only cut up to A4, and around 200gms weight card. The Cameo cuts 12"x12" and I've been cutting up to 350gms without any problem at all. In fact, I feel that it would cut even thicker media.
I have literally hundreds of cutting files downloaded FREE from various sources.
I really love this machine and can highly recommend it.
I bought mine from a well known craft T.V. site and got it on three monthly installments, which I think they are still offering.
Hope this info is of help to you:)

Sasha said...

Hello again, Ros. I forgot to say that the Silhouette Studio software is really easy to use. You can design your own cut files, import your images to print and cut, or if you get stuck you can go into their online store and purchase designs for 99 cents each:)

Sasha said...

You're most welcome, Ros. I'm certain you're going to love your Cameo. I've cut absolutely tons of shapes on mine and it's brilliant. You can cut rolled roses to any size...saves buying the dies or cutting them by hand. Tonight, I've been designing some shaped cards. Oh, and Silhouette give a free design every week, too. And occasionally they do special offers on the downloads in the online store...ENJOY!:)

Anonymous said...

So many more questions! It's next on my hit list too although I'd be asking exactly the same questions. I have die-hard cricut friends but then they're not bothered about SCAL or svg's. I liked the look of the Pazzle but then it's so much money. Somebody must know!

June Houck said...

I don't know if I will be of any help, Ros, but I have a Pazzles and a Cricut Expression. I have used my Pazzles, but I much prefer my Cricut because I have computer anxiety...the Pazzles is terrific for cutting the files, but I find the software confusing. I am sure it has everything to do with my own anxiety and not the machine. The Cricut is so easy...die cutting for dummies :)

Heather Rogers said...

Well, I have the Cricut Expression and it works wonderfully. I never had any problems. Unfortunately I don't use it much any more. I do have a friend who has both the Expression and Silhouette. I will send her over to tell you what she thinks. :)
Hugs~

farmhouse-story said...

hi ros,

heather sent me over:) i have the expression and silhouette.

my 5yr old cricut cuts beautifully--i but HATE searching for a design, hooking up and using the gypsy, and buying tons of designs i won't ever use. its just sooo expensive. i haven't turned it on since getting my silhouette over 1 yr ago.

with the silhouette-designs can be sorted and found easily. they are so much cheaper and you only buy what you'll use. and you can download them anytime instantly. its sooo much cheaper.

for xmas, i'm getting the new cameo silhouette, because it cuts 12 x 12. oh, and the silhouette program is more user friendly than the cricut program...just my 2cents:)

btw-love your cards:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ros..I have a craft robo for me it`s down to cost!I dont want something I am going to have to spend a fortune on the latest designs that likewise I might only want one part of the design on.Plus having a limited amount of money I cant justify spending everytime a new cartridge comes out!!!I have never had any problems with it find it cost effective and love how I have the free hand ,There are some fab sites where you can download shapes etc for free or even better create your own design!!!!
The new silohette cameo seems the best choice and would love to know what you think of it!!!It has good reviews I like the fact that its a lot better for the larger card.anyways have fun with you new machine:) xxx