Thursday, July 05, 2012

Casablanca



Day 6 we sailed into Casablanca ... this was to be our longest stay ... a full 14 hours here for those who wanted to take a trip to Rabat (4hr drive each way) ... 
This was the most disappointing stop for three reasons ... firstly this is the port 


Not so pretty huh?
Disappointment number 2... 
We had decided against a 9 hour trip and decided to take the shuttle bus that was supposed to drop us at a hotel ... Having visited Tunisia years ago ... I was apprehensive ... I had a few 'not nice' experiences in Tunisia ...
But we headed for the bus and as soon as we disembarked we were hassled ... We were driven a short distance ... maybe 10 minutes away (not to the hotel due to road works) and told we could walk from here ... Well it was awful ... traffic going everywhere, noisy and dirty and within seconds the bus was surrounded with people trying to take you to their taxis for tours ... I admit I felt scared ... My husband is completely deaf in one ear and doesn't hear much with the other so I worry for him  ... The ships' trip organisers gave us no information or assistance as this was all new to them too ... so I decided not to get off the bus and just head back to the ship ...
And the biggest disappointment was finding out that had we got off the bus ... turned the corner we would have been in the Famous Rick's Cafe!



How gorgeous is this place? They even keep an empty chair especially for Rick

And a sweet guy we met on the ship would have accompanied us as he had visited many times and knew everywhere to go ...

C'est La Vie!

Gibraltar next stop ...

~ Ros ~







11 comments:

Deb Hickman said...

What a shame, I've got to say Tunisia has never appealed to me and wouldn't be a place I visit. Your trip the day before at Lagos looked wonderful, loved looking through your photo's, now that is a place I fancy going to. Deb xxx

Barbara said...

Such a shame Casablanca was such a disappointment. I've never been to Morocco (and switched off "Casablanca" after 15 minutes because I found it boring...). But now I'm waiting to hear all about Gibraltar!

Sue Lelli said...

I would have been scared, too! What a shame you didn't hook up with the person who could have taken you there!

Lynnda said...

CAsablance ... is one of my ...must go places... I'm so jealous Ros... Lovely photos... TFS..hugs...xoxo

Sasha said...

What a bad experience, Ros, and such a pity that you Missed Rick's cafe. Not all the places where the ships dock are pretty to look at...are they? x

Zue said...

Never mind, Ros. You will know for next time.
I love that film, don't you; in fact I think I might watch it after the tennis ?!
xx

Unknown said...

Such a pity, but never you mind, it's best to give in to your feelings. Can't see it all!
irascreacorner.blogspot.com

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

How cool is that, love the vintage Casablanca's poster and the photos or Rick's Cafe, I gotta show Dolce this one!

Sylvia said...

So sorry you missed Casablanca, Ros, I have some lovely pictures my dad took in the 1940's during the war! I also have seen pictures from another gal who lived in Algeria! But I know what you mean about feeling unsettled. These pictures are great of the bar, I love the movie!

Unknown said...

Yep, That does sound a bit scary. So glad it seem to work out.. I love that movie...

Hugs~

Tracy said...

I don't blame you for being scared, but I'm sorry you missed out on that part of your trip. The cafe looks amazing. :-)